From breakfast to dinner … plan the perfect Mother’s Day
Have you planned to make your mom feel special and excited on this second sunday in may? Sure, the old box of chocolates and bouquet of flowers are sure to please, but you why not make this Mother’s Day an actual full day filled with pampering and surprises? If you are not sure how to say “thanks mom” with all the flare of a marching band, then have a look at what we came up with.
Start mom’s day off right this Sunday with breakfast in bed. What could be better then waking up to the sweet smell of homemade cornmeal waffles on the griddle and rich coffee brewing? Ontario Grain Farmer’s waffle recipe is made even better with their raspberry sauce.
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups milk
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 pints raspberries
1⁄2 cup water
3⁄4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1. Preheat the waffle maker.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, brown sugar, and salt) and mix well. In another medium mixing bowl, whisk the wet ingredients:milk, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
4. Pour 3/4 cup – 1 cup (depending on the size of your waffle maker) into the center of the grid.
5. Cook the waffle according to your waffle maker directions. Bake until golden brown, approximately 3-4minutes.
6. For sauce, crush the raspberries with water in a saucepan. Add sugar and cornstarch.
7. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer until raspberries have broken down and look like jam.
8. Serve waffles with raspberry sauce ormaple syrup.
Make sure to check out www.goodineverygrain.ca/recipes for more great recipes from Ontario Grain Farmers for this Mother’s Day.
The pampering does not end with breakfast…that is just the beginning. A visit to Ste. Anne’s makes an ideal gift for that special person in your life…mom. Send her alone for some relaxation or join her and share the experience. It’s the perfect opportunity to enjoy each other’s company in a stress-free, all-inclusive environment. Perhaps it’s more than a coincidence that Mother’s Day falls during the season when Mother Nature is busiest. Her brilliant handiwork is always on display at Ste. Anne’s, but especially in the spring when she nurtures the gardens and welcomes the return of songbirds to our sprawling 400 acres of countryside.
Book your spa getaway now by visiting www.steannes.com
Batteries recharged and time to head home after a lovely day. The much deserved indulging does not have to stop here. Pour mom a glass of wine and set the mood for a garden party in her own backyard. Our friends at Euro Vintage have the perfect light snack and wine pairing to finish Mother’s Day in style.
1 box pancake mix, prepared
5 Tbsp oil
1 cup softened cream cheese
5 tsp finely chopped dill
2 tsp finely chopped lemon zest
1 tsp lemon juice
1. Combine 1 box pancake mix as per instructions on the box. Set aside.
2. Add 5 tablespoons of oil to a large frying pan or skillet. Heat on medium.
3. Take pancake mix and spoon 1 Tbsp portions into the hot pan; brown on each side, then set aside to cool.
4. In a bowl, mix together 1 cup of softened cream cheese, 5 tsp finely chopped dill, 1 tsp lemon juice, and 2 tsp finely chopped lemon zest.
5. From a package of smoked salmon, place a small piece of smoked salmon and 1 teaspoon of cream cheese mixture on each pancake and garnish with a sprig of dill.
6. Pair with a glass of Rose d’Anjou.
Make sure to check out www.eurovintage.com for more great wine pairing ideas for this Mother’s Day.